A number of studies confirmed that the zeolite clinoptilolite added to new born bovine colostrum reduces the incidence of diarrhea. It may be also a result of two factors:
– change in metabolic acidosis through the action of the osmotic pressure in the intestinal lumen,
– or the retention of internally adsorbing the toxic E. coli (bacteria as part of the gut flora), and thus the limiting of its connection to the intestinal cell membrane receptors.
The clinoptilolite presence has got a positive impact on the penetration of substances through the intestinal system of the calf. The ability of this mineral absorbs the water causing the animal excreta are much drier and more compact. If the addition of the zeolite substrate based on clinoptilolite into the colostrum within the first 24 hours of birth is applied, than the much lower frequency of diarrhea syndrome in new born calves can be observed.
Many experimental studies were performed on calves to observe the effects of clinoptilolite added to colostrum. Their main ask is also to monitor the adsorption of immunoglobulins from the colostrum, the hematology parameters (characteristics and composition of blood), and enzyme activities in the blood serum, body weight and daily growth of calves weight. In the course of the first three months of life of calves, some studies have shown results as follows:
– there is an increase rate of the adsorption of colostrum immunoglobulin gamma of the digestive system of animals,
– this is evidenced by the higher concentration of globulins in blood serum of calves,
– added zeolite to colostrum does not cause any functional or morphological changes in the tissues of functional organs and muscles of animals.